Saturday, August 29, 2009

Swallowed up

There's been a lot of good natured ribbing about my resistance to twitter. The thing is there's something that you don't know about me.

I'm a recovering addict.

They should have a button you can wear on your lapel like those chips that alcoholics have. The chips are a big deal. They're color coded with the number of months or years a person has been clean and sober.

I've been unplugged for almost two years now.

Not completely.

I mean I still emailed, still used a cell phone. But I unplugged from the constant. The constant barrage of tv news, entertainment news, radio news, news of the weird. The need to be UP on the newest thing. The need to wallow in whatever new misery was being shouted from the airwaves.

I was a bit worried when I launched the blog. Worried that I'd get swallowed back up by the constant. Be drained of my creative juices by something NEEDING and NEEDING to be constantly fed. But the thing is? Having my blog has fueled my creativity and gives me new ideas every day. Reading a few other select blogs also fuels my creativity. I believe creativity is often collaborative. Just read through some of our comment threads you'll see what I mean. Fun ideas feed on one another.

And when like minded folks get together to discuss something fun, or something deep, it produces an amazing amount of positive energy.

I LOVE hosting this site, I take away the positive every day from connecting with folks all around the globe as they come in to see what I'm yammering about.

I have made some of the best and most loving friends that I've ever had through this experience. I've also met some amazing professionals in the industry who have given me encouragement by enjoying my writing and reinforcing the dream that one day I'll join the ranks of my multi published "now in paperback!' friends who line my bookshelfs.

So the blog works for me.

Big time.

And on Friday I'm going to add a new flash fiction feature.

Alan Baxter just hipped me to a facebook group writing weekly flash fiction pieces in the hope of getting noticed by more folks.

I spent some time looking at the site last night. It was extremely seductive. There were literally dozens of opportunities listed for entering flash fiction, poems and short stories for anthologies.

But you could only see them if you joined facebook. So I was seriously considering getting a facebook account.

Vader was working HARD.

But the thing is?

I know me. I KNOW that if I got on facebook I'd spend too much time there. I'd short change the things that matter and are important to me.


My writing.
Keeping my body healthy with adequate rest, exercise and meditation. Keeping my mind strong by being quiet and taking time to mull things over in silence. Walking outside in nature. Spending time with people I love.

If I got replugged into a huge social network like twitter or facebook it would be like an alcoholic just having that one little drink.

That one drink would set me back so far.

I can't even imagine going back to the swirling craziness that I used to live in.

My work would suffer. My life would suffer. My inner calm would wobble.

So, I decided not to go whole hog back into the swirling world of social media.

The great thing is the guy who runs the facebook page for the flash fiction pieces offered to tweet a non tweeter's story once it was posted on their blog.

So, once again, I will be depending on the kindness of strangers to get the word out for a new venture that I'm jumping into. Anybody who wants to join Jon Strother in tweeting my flash fiction to get me out there into the world feel free and know that it will be appreciated.

Otherwise?

Just keep coming in to see me and know that I enjoyed all of you trying to drag me kicking and screaming into the information age. But the thing that you didn't know was that I spent years kicking and screaming to drag myself out.

I'm happy and calm now. Living in my cave. The force is strong in me.

I will keep resisting the dark side.

I will keep feeding the blog and enjoying my readers.

And as each and every one of you read these words I want you all to remember, THIS is the blog you want and you want to come here every day.

I'm wearing the robe while doing the intense face with the hand thing, you just can't see it.

18 comments:

Ashley said...

I admire you for being able to give it up. I never could. Actually, a ton of my friends are on Twitter now and I have no other way of being in contact with them. I'm always amazed by the amount of things I can get done when I don't have internet . . .

J. M. Strother said...

Resistance is futile. Oops, sorry. Wrong movie. ;)

I'll email you.
~jon

Anonymous said...

You had a good idea posting about this, now everyone who wanted to drag you back will understand your reasons not to. :)
Your blog is amazing and it's a good thing you love it because I'd hate it if you stopped using it (like your usual readers too I'm sure!)

I wish I wasn't as dependent to the internet as I am, but it's still better than most people's addiction to it, so I'm not worried :)
(but if you find me posting, tweeting, etc. every 3 minutes please give me your support group's contact information :P)

Rachel S said...

Haha, wow, I have no idea what you're talking about!
And facebook isn't that interesting, I only ever go on there when I get an alert saying someone sent me something. So you know, maybe once a week? For three minutes? Though I'm sure I'm the exception.

Unknown said...

Good for you Karen! The Force is strong in this one. Don't give in!

judy said...

Yay you! Get down with your unplugged self!

Karen from Mentor said...

Wow Guys,
Really feelin the love.

Judy, I'm singing along with Kool and the Gang right now.

I won't Merrilee, and keep tweeting my bb stories!! (thanks sweetie)

Karen from Mentor said...

Yay Estrella,
Thanks for supporting me. And for loving the blog. You're so sweet!

I thought I'd better finally explain myself after yet ANOTHER person said that I needed to drag myself into the 21st century. lol

I'll keep an eye on you just in case we need to do an intervention.

:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

Rachel,
I think that you are definitely the exception.

And Ashley, I love your statement about being more productive when there's no internet. That's what I'm talking about. Being more plugged in isn't always more productive. Sometimes simpler is better.
Thanks guys!

Karen from Mentor said...

Jon,
Thanks for stopping in, for offering to tweet my flash fiction and for your very supportive email.
I'm looking forward to the Flash Fiction Fridays. It should bring us a lot of entertainment to jump start our weekends.

P.S. Really enjoyed the Borg reference.
Karen :0)

jane, candid said...

No need to do anything you don't want to do, there are so many other wonderful opportunties outside of the social media networking loop! And your blog is the perfect fit for you (SO glad you enjoy it so much :-)

Alan said...

Welcome to the Friday Flash crew, Karen. Now, let's see about getting you onto Facebook and Twitter. There's also Goodreads, various ning communities and MySpace.

Coooome! Join ussssssss!

:)

Karen from Mentor said...

Hey Alan,
There you go, trying to use your manly wiles to lure me to the dark side.
If CG couldn't do it with her womanly wiles, I don't think you can do it with your manly charms.....well, unless you can cook too.
:0)
(and there's that whole issue of you having a wife and all....)

Karen from Mentor said...

Hey JANE!
Haven't seen you in forever missy.

Glad you're back.

I just saw but unfortunately too late! that NPR was hosting a three minute story contest. I'm going to keep my eye on stuff like that. You're right that there's a BUNCH of stuff out there to find without being on a social network.
Thanks for sharing your two cents. Good to see you, been missing your wit and wisdom.
Karen :0)

Alan said...

I do make an infamous chilli. And we have cookies on the dark side. Dark, chocolatey, buttery cookies.

:)

Rougeneck said...

Glad you blog. Very, very glad! xoxo

Karen from Mentor said...

Me too CG. me too...

hugs!

:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

And Alan?
you just cut that out mister.
riiiiight now....

...but I DO like cookies....