Monday, March 22, 2010

Hulu……

Since I no longer have cable and was out of fresh books and needed a brain break over the weekend I spent some time on Hulu watching Firefly. And yes before you ask I saw the episode that opens with Nathan Fillion naked in the desert. [insert some unintelligible sounds here]

The thing with Hulu is they have figured out that if they make the commercials 15 seconds long people will actually sit through them because there isn't time to get up and go make a sandwich in 15 seconds, well unless you're Flash Gordon but that's a different story. And speaking of different stories….[everybody catch that really smooth segue?]…… one of the funniest tv lines EVER is in a Firefly episode called "Objects in Space" when a character says that the possibility of someone having psychic powers sounds like science fiction to him and his wife says "We live on a space ship, Dear."

After I exhausted Hulu's supply of Firefly, I went trolling on the interweb and found more episodes on The WB. Now, The WB is not a channel that I've spent time on in the past. And although they also present their web episodes with short commercials, I was exposed to a couple of commercials that I don't think that I would have ever had the opportunity to [voluntarily] view had I been watching mainstream tv. In retrospect I realize that my only defense against this mind numbing onslaught would have been…….two seconds in when realization struck……. placing my hands over my eyes and hitting the mute button on my laptop, but since I was so gobsmacked the first time this commercial rolled up on my screen, I now have an audio/video clip seared into my brain pan.

So no one gets their dander up, I'll preface this with telling you that I'm not a fan of "reality" tv. If you are, stay with me, and try not to feel judged, because I fully believe that every adult has their own god given right to whatever brain softening pleasure they crave, as long as they don't go around pushing it to middle schoolers in dark alleys……

So there I was, innocently counting down the seconds left on a commercial break until the conclusion of my Firefly episode…… and up pops a commercial featuring Buzz Aldrin. You know, Buzz freakin Aldrin. Space hero? The second person to ever set foot on the moon? Buzz Aldrin? Astronaut? In a tuxedo, holding an American flag, to the backdrop of "Let's Dance" by David Bowie.

Well, my mouth fell open and I just sat there kinda stunned. I didn't even laugh, which is my normal reaction to something that gobsmacks me.

What I wouldn't give to have been in that "Dancing with the Stars" planning meeting. Um, guys? You know how we get celebrities to dance and the show is called dancing with the stars and everything?

What do you think about getting a guy who's actually been up in the stars…………..????

There's another planning meeting that I would have loved to have been in. I was just telling Cat about it this morning. The planning meeting for The Nook. It's one of those electronic book reader things. Really the NOOK? I laugh every time I see it. Then I wonder……..didn't those guys go to high school?

[or is that one just me?]

19 comments:

Marisa Birns said...

Oh, thank goodness you gave link to naked Nathan! Haven't seen Firefly, but good to know I can!

I also thought it funny/weird that Buzz Aldrin will dance on television. Yes, that planning meeting was odd, but even odder? That Aldrin said yes.

As for the nook...as long as there's no 'ie' at the end...

Cat Connor said...

I'm desperate for an eReader but I ain't buying something called a Nook... I'm just not. The jokes would never end in our house!!! I couldn't even bring myself to do a cost comparison cos I DO NOT WANT TO BUY something called a NOOK. :D

I have Firefly on DVD - yes the entire series... wanna come live with us?? (naked Fillion anytime you want)

Anonymous said...

Technically he didn't go to the stars...

The Nook is an e-book reader. So if you ask "Can I have a Nook E-book reader", you might be mistaken for an Italian asking for sex, if you don't get those last three syllables out quickly.

Karen from Mentor said...

Well technically this is what passes for comedy Anton, so, as in many forms of engineering, it's close enough.

:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

Did you not see the embedded link from youtube Cat? The internet has kindly provided me with naked Nathon Fillion any time I want.
[oh happy day]

But I would consider coming to live with you if you'll bake for me at least once a week.
Deal?

:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

What freaked me out Marisa was when I went to wickipedia to read about Aldrin to make sure I got my facts straight [except for the glaringly inacurate facts pointed out by Anton of course] I learned that Buzz Aldrin is 80 years old.
Taking on a dancing challenge at 80 is gutsy for anyone. So. Good for him. I just hope that he doesn't hurt himself. That would be awful. Survive a trip to the moon.... cash in your chips on dancing with the stars. That would just seem anticlimatic somehow.......

Anonymous said...

Interesting post, so glad to find people who also avoid commercials :P

And you last comment reminded me of "Music and Lyrics". Have you seen it?
If yes, remember the part where Alex asks Sophie to a concert where he's singing 'Meaningless kiss', does the "Pop hip move" and he gets a bit hurt?
Funny, but I'm sure if Buzz Aldrin does it he'll be seeing stars :P

PS: Talking about Hugh Grant, I LOVE his voice! You? :)
PPS: I'll admit... I saw that movie at least 10 times so far... does that make me weird? ;)

Rachel S said...

I saw the last three minutes of Dancing with the Stars last night while waiting for Castle to start (so I could watch Nathan Fillion) and I saw the recap of Buzz dancing. He looked pretty spry for an 80 year old.

Kris said...

I wonder what percentage of your readers checked out the link to "Nathan Fillion naked in the desert"?!?

judy said...

So, Buzz will actually dance, then? I thought you meant he was just introducing the show... I find myself rooting for him already. Though I've never watched and still won't watch Dancing With The Stars. (That said, I know a LOT of writers who watch and love that show. That one and Project Runway. Wonder if Buzz would have said yes to Project Runway...)

Karen from Mentor said...

Oh my Judy,
After I googled "Project Runway" I laughed and laughed. I WANT TO SEE THAT.

Karen from Mentor said...

Well Kris,
Unless they feel like outing themselves on that particular guilty pleasure no one here on this end is telling on anyone.

That said.....

.....how much did you enjoy the clip?

I really like the expression on his face when his crew is reacting to him being naked. He's just so damn cute dressed or otherwise. That lopsided grin gets me every time.

:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

Well good then Rachel you can keep me apprised of Buzz's dancing prowess as the season progresses.

By the way I'm pretty sure that that's the first time the word "spry" has been used here on Miscellaneous Yammering.

So you've got THAT dubious distinction going for you on the big white board of useless online trivia that I keep in my head.

Thanks for stopping in honey.
:0)

Karen from Mentor said...

@ Estrella,
laughing and laughing....
Asking an open ended question IN PUBLIC like "does that make me weird?" oh my.....

[wrestling match ensues....devil/angel, devil/angel, devil/angel....finally .....angel wins]

No Estrella that doesn't make you weird.
[whew!]

And yes, I've seen Music and Lyrics. I love Drew Barrymore. I have issues with Hugh Grant, but not because of his acting. That is a really cute movie. The scene where he has his old hip injury act up was really funny as is the "video" footage of "his" pop band from the eighties....especially their outfits.
:0)

Lauren C said...

I also try to say no to reality tv, but if I'm ever flipping channels and catch Project Runway, I watch it. Because of these reasons: a) fancy-shmancy clothes that would be sooo much fun to dress up in, b) Tim Gunn (the coordinator/cheerleader, I guess), c) Heidi Klum's accent, and d) the fact that the contestants actually have to do something constructive.

Maybe in another life I was a fashionista? Or a cat living in a fabric store...

Anonymous said...

@ Karen

It's okay, I know I am in some ways. But I like it and otherwise I wouldn't be me ;)

Hugs to that angel you are!

Kris said...

Well, Karen, of course I didn't look at the Nathan Fillion clip. After all, I'm a happily married woman who doesn't allow her mind to stray in such directions.

By the way... how do you clear the browser history on a computer? Not that I need to, of course. Just wondering...

Karen from Mentor said...

Hey, you're married, not dead. As long as you don't start licking the screen or anything....I think you'll be fine.

You didn't start li...... nevermind....sometimes there's just such a thing as tmi.

Karen from Mentor said...

Do they ever make clothes out of tin foil or duct tape Lauren? Cause if they do that sort of thing, you might give me a heads up so I can see the highlight reel on TalkSoup.